- 1.5 million Americans sustain a TBI every year.
- About 1.1 million individuals with TBI are treated and released from an emergency department every year, and 235,000 are hospitalized.
- Each year, TBIs result in approximately 80,000 – 90,000 new cases of long-term disability.
- As of 2010, approximately 5.3 million Americans are living with a disability as a result of a TBI.
- Treatment for TBI ideally involves multiple disciplines with expertise in the various areas of functioning that can be affected by TBI.
What is Rehabilitation?
Rehabilitation includes interventions designed to help people again do things that they were able to do prior to the TBI.
What is Habilitation?
Habilitation includes interventions designed to enable people to do things they had not done before (e.g., training someone to do a different job than what he did prior to his TBI).